Life is full of difficult choices. One big one is when to admit you can’t care for your parent or loved one any longer. Many struggle with this choice because they feel like they may be failing as a caretaker—but that’s not true! You know well that you are not a professional. Don’t you think they deserve professional help? Take a look into the retirement communities near New Orleans and see why it may be what your loved one needs in their life.
Signs They Need Help
There comes a point when living on your own becomes difficult, if not impossible. Many families begin questioning what to do next. But it’s time to look at the facts. If they’re having the following issues, it may be time to think about outside help:
- They’re lonely. We all need companionship in our lives. And yes, while you’re there for them, it may not be everything they need. At a retirement community, your loved one can find lasting friendships with people of the same age and interests.
- Walking has become difficult. If they need a walker to go anywhere, it may be time for a change. What happens if you can’t be there or if the walker has been misplaced?
- Cleaning is no longer an option. Even chores can be difficult in our older years. Eventually, things build up and can cause even more problems. If no one’s cleaning, bacteria can make the home a very hostile place to live.
- Weight loss. Many elderly individuals have issues with weight. And it really could be anything causing it. They could be forgetting to eat, having a decreased appetite, or just find cooking too difficult to do anymore. At retirement communities in New Orleans, the staff ensures they get fed regularly.
There are a number of reasons as to why it may be time to look into retirement communities. But while they may need help, you also need to ask yourself, “Do I need help?” That is to say, is it time to step back?
When YOU Need Help
The elder in your care isn’t the only one in need. As a caretaker, it can be easy to forget your own needs when you’re putting someone else’s before yours. Overall, there are two big reasons why you need to think about stepping back.
- You don’t have enough time. This isn’t your fault. You’re an adult and have your own life to attend to. It’s difficult to go to the store, pick up your kids, or do many other tasks when you’re responsible for another person.
- You cannot keep up physically. Caring for another person can be taxing. Especially if you’re doing double the chores, helping them walk, etc. It’s okay to admit when you can no longer keep up.
Know when it’s time to sit down and look at your options. Consider choosing from the retirement communities near New Orleans and getting a new start for both of you.
Your Choice Of Retirement Communities Near New Orleans
It’s responsible to know when to admit that your loved one needs professional help. And as your choice of retirement communities near New Orleans, The Windsor is here to help! Schedule your tour today and grab a look at your future home. Have a question for us? Contact us today either online or by calling 985-624-8040. We’re happy to help you with whatever you need.